Official State Links
- TN Stars: The state's 529 savings plan includes incentives for opening an account, 14 investment options, and low minimum contribution limits. There's one age-based option, as well. The program is run by the Tennessee Treasury Department.
- Tennessee Promise: Just approved by the Tennessee government this year, Tennessee Promise is dedicated to providing a higher education for every student in the state. The organization is currently identifying community colleges with which it can partner; the premise is that every high school student that applies to the program and meets its requirements will be able to attend a community college for free.
- Public Education Foundation Chattanooga: This national nonprofit has a state organization in Tennessee. It aims to support public education at all levels, but it also hosts college-specific workshops for students who face barriers in accessing higher education. PEF holds "Camp College" every summer, providing 40 rising seniors the opportunity to explore postsecondary education.
- Tennessee College Access & Success: This nonprofit works with communities to create a culture of interest and participation in higher education. Its goal is to increase the number of Tennessee residents who finish college or university and earn a degree. They work with legislators, community leaders, and educators to expand awareness.
Higher Education News
- Tennessee Higher Education Commission News: The state agency in charge of higher education maintains a news archive with information on Tennessee's public institutions.
- Education Week Tennessee: This national publication allows users to filter by state, providing news specific to Tennessee's colleges and universities.
- TN 6.2%
- U.S. 7.7%
- TN 15.2%
- U.S. 17.9%
- Graduate or professional degree
- TN 8.3%
- U.S. 10.6%