Open Education Database is the most comprehensive collection of online college rankings and free courses anywhere online. We welcome learners of all levels to explore their interests and prepare for exciting new careers, build on existing foundations of education and experience, or just satisfy a craving to learn something completely new.
We’ve been a leader in the open education movement since 2007 when we were the first organization to release online college rankings and over the last six years have built on that tradition of helping learners connect with the best-fit education opportunities. OEDb continues to release its online college rankings each January and is now proud to feature a collection of over 10,000 free open courses and interactive resources from top universities around the world. Help us advance open education by joining our community.
Ellyssa Kroski – iLibrarian Blog
Ellyssa Kroski leads the discussion on open learning and academic librarianship on OEDb. She serves as the Director of Information Technology at the New York Law Institute and is a highly regarded writer, speaker and digital librarian who has contributed to a variety of publications like Library Journal. Read her most recent posts here, as well as other features offering forward-thinking coverage for students at every stage of learning.
Our Advice section is a resource hub for visitors looking for a guide to online learning. Here we break down need-to-know issues like accreditation, choosing the right school and transferring credits.
Our open courseware collection is at the heart of OEDb’s mission and user experience. We guide you through thousands of free audio and visual lectures, full courses and multimedia across all subjects. Here’s just a sample:
- A survey of Shakespeare’s plays from Brandeis University
- An introduction to InDesign for those wanting to add to their software and design skills, from Birmingham City University
- A lecture series on marketing mastery from Udemy
- AP science courses from the University of California College Prep initiative
Get interactive with our industry-specific career portals. Each portal connects you to events, social media groups, key job boards, internship and volunteer opportunities, professional publications, certification requirements and a lot more to get you to the top of your field or learn how to break into a new career environment.
The degree index is a tool for prospective students looking for online degree programs. The directory is organized by
- Location: giving a comprehensive overview of the online education offerings in your state, along with general higher education data and career information for the area.
- Schools: Complete your online school research by learning about the history, complete degree offerings, and other important facts and figures of all the colleges and universities offering online programs in the country.
- October 2006: OEDb “opens” as a platform to connect learners to the emerging dialogue of online education and offers a smaller version of our current degree index.
- January 2007: We released the first edition of our now annual online college rankings, setting a standard for reviewing and celebrating pioneering colleges and universities.
- January 2009: Our third rankings are officially recognized by the Chronicle of Higher Education’s Wired Campus. We’ve officially made it!
- September 2009: iLibrarian’s Ellyssa Kroski begins a regular column with Library Journal
- March 2011: Ellyssa Kroski’s 10-part series on technology and libraries “The Tech Set” wins the 2011 Greenwood Publishing Group Award for the Best Book in Library Literature.
- March 2013: OEDb releases its robust collection of over 10,000 free, open education resources. It’s impossible to pick a favorite!
Keep Up With OEDb
Recent Press Releases:
- OEDb Releases 2013 Online College Rankings, PRNewswire, January 2013