Open Education Database is the most comprehensive collection of online college rankings and free courses anywhere online. We welcome learners of all levels to explore their interests and prepare for exciting new careers, build on existing foundations of education and experience, or just satisfy a craving to learn something completely new.
We’ve been a leader in the open education movement since 2007 when we were the first organization to release online college rankings and over the last six years have built on that tradition of helping learners connect with the best-fit education opportunities. OEDb continues to release its online college rankings each January and is now proud to feature a collection of over 10,000 free open courses and interactive resources from top universities around the world. Help us advance open education by joining our community.
Ellyssa Kroski – iLibrarian Blog
Ellyssa Kroski is the Director of Information Technology at the New York Law Institute as well as an award-winning editor and author of 22 books, including Law Librarianship in the Digital Age for which she won the AALL’s 2014 Joseph L. Andrews Legal Literature Award. Her ten-book technology series, The Tech Set, won the ALA’s Best Book in Library Literature Award in 2011. She is a librarian, an adjunct faculty member at Pratt Institute, and an international conference speaker. She speaks at several conferences a year, mainly about new tech trends, digital strategy, and libraries.
Our Advice section is a resource hub for visitors looking for a guide to online learning. Here we break down need-to-know issues like accreditation, choosing the right school and transferring credits.
Our open courseware collection is at the heart of OEDb’s mission and user experience. We guide you through thousands of free audio and visual lectures, full courses and multimedia across all subjects. Here’s just a sample:
- A survey of Shakespeare’s plays from Brandeis University
- An introduction to InDesign for those wanting to add to their software and design skills, from Birmingham City University
- A lecture series on marketing mastery from Udemy
- AP science courses from the University of California College Prep initiative
- October 2006: OEDb “opens” as a platform to connect learners to the emerging dialogue of online education and offers a smaller version of our current degree index.
- January 2007: We released the first edition of our now annual online college rankings, setting a standard for reviewing and celebrating pioneering colleges and universities.
- January 2009: Our third rankings are officially recognized by the Chronicle of Higher Education’s Wired Campus. We’ve officially made it!
- September 2009: iLibrarian’s Ellyssa Kroski begins a regular column with Library Journal
- March 2011: Ellyssa Kroski’s 10-part series on technology and libraries “The Tech Set” wins the 2011 Greenwood Publishing Group Award for the Best Book in Library Literature.
- March 2013: OEDb releases its robust collection of over 10,000 free, open education resources. It’s impossible to pick a favorite!
Keep Up With OEDb
Recent Press Releases:
- OEDb Releases 2013 Online College Rankings, PRNewswire, January 2013