Official State Links
- College Access 529: South Dakota offers Direct Sold or Advisor Sold 529 plans, allowing students and families to choose whether they want to work with a financial firm or independently arrange a savings plan. As with other 529 plans, South Dakota's framework allows for multiple investment options, including age-based choices. Students can also choose a national 529 plan because the state doesn't provide income tax breaks (since residents don't pay personal income tax).
- South Dakota Education Access Foundation: This nonprofit is committed to helping young people learn about and attend institutions of higher education in the state. They work specifically to support disadvantaged and low income students by providing funds for colleges and universities to create scholarships aimed at those students.
- Tiospaye Program: This student organization is affiliated with the University of South Dakota and works to bring Native American students to college and to help Native students who are already on campus. The organization acts as a touchpoint for Native American students at USD, and members often visit high schools to work with students who may need help with the transition to higher education.
Higher Education News
- South Dakota Board of Regents Press Room: The state agency in charge of higher education maintains a section of their site devoted to college and university news and trends.
- Aberdeen News: Higher Education: This section of the American News site focuses specifically on colleges and universities in South Dakota; while many are in the Aberdeen area, news reaches across the state.
- Education Week South Dakota: This national publication includes the option of narrowing news by state, meaning readers can focus on education trends specific to South Dakota.
- SD 9.9%
- U.S. 7.7%
- SD 18.3%
- U.S. 17.9%
- Graduate or professional degree
- SD 7.8%
- U.S. 10.6%