Official State Links
- North Carolina College Savings and Investment Program: The state's 529 plan offers students and parents several means of saving for college ahead of time. Recently, North Carolina's government eliminated the state tax break that used to be included in the program, but enrollees still get federal tax benefits. They're also able to choose between a range of investment options, some of which have low minimum contributions for those in need.
- The John William Pope Center: This nonprofit, based in North Carolina and dedicated to helping students throughout the state and nation, advocates for quality in higher education. The organization works with students, parents, faculty and others associated with higher education in the state in order to ensure that students are accessing the best possible college or university experience.
- College Foundation of North Carolina: This comprehensive nonprofit includes resources for students of all ages. It aims to help students and families plan, pay for, and attend college successfully, and it connects users to a number of online and in-person resources, including college preparatory materials, financial aid, and career planning tools.
- Carolina College Advising Corps: This organization, based out of the University of North Carolina, connects low-income and potential first generation college students to advisors. Through mentoring and skill-building, the organization aims to increase the number of disadvantaged students who enter higher education.
Higher Education News
- University of North Carolina News: This site covers news from the state's numerous public institutions of higher education, providing insight into happenings and trends.
- Education Week North Carolina: EdWeek is a national education publication, but it provides a state-by-state breakdown of current news, allowing the reader to focus on trends in North Carolina's education system.
- NC 8.6%
- U.S. 7.7%
- NC 17.8%
- U.S. 17.9%
- Graduate or professional degree
- NC 9%
- U.S. 10.6%