Generation Y is poised to redefine the way we do business in America and globally, but that doesn’t mean smart business strategies are inherently a part of your young DNA. Whether you go to one of the best online business programs or fail a few times on your own, you’ll need to learn some basic business principles and discover how to communicate and collaborate in the real world before finding success. These blogs can help you communicate, collaborate, master the science of SEO and social media marketing, shake hands like a professional and more, whether you’re expanding your lawn mowing business or promoting sustainable building in South America.
Tools and Resources
Find helpful guides, toolkits, and other resources to help you turn your business idea into a successful company.
- YoungEntrepreneur.com: This website and blog is devoted to sharing business tools, how-to guides and other resources for young, ambitious entrepreneurs. Recommended Posts: Tech Investor: Courage Is an Entrepreneur’s Most Important Quality and How to Turn Your Youth Into Your Ultimate Asset
- WorkHappy.net: Entrepreneurs will find “killer resources” from this blog, including everything you need for project management, website management and design, CRM, and more. Recommended Posts: List of the Best Online Payment Alternatives for Entrepreneurs and Hot to Find a Good Domain Name
- Small Business Trends: Check this blog and resource for tips and tools to improve your marketing strategies, website design, brand management, and more. Recommended Posts: 5 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Take in Investors and The Smallest Businesses Face the Biggest Cyber Risks
- Dane Carlson’s Business Opportunities Weblog: Look for business opportunities — or just find inspiration — from the posts on Dane Carlson’s blog for entrepreneurs. Recommended Posts: 4 Reasons Your Small Business is Sputtering and 4 Businesses to Start in a Down Economy
- Business Pundit: Lots of entrepreneurs turn to this blog for resources and commentary on the latest trends in business and innovation. Recommended Posts: 3 Tactics for Improving Cash Flow in Your Small Business and Top 5 Reasons Why Entrepreneurs Should Outsource Their Payroll
- YSN: Your Success Network has tips and tools for students, young professionals and those who think they know it all already. Recommended Posts: Should You Raise Capital from Family and Friends? and The Truth About Raising Early Stage Capital
- Growing Forward: You’ll learn how to fit in with other professionals, even if you’re just out of college or high school, when you read this blog. Recommended Posts: Franchise It! and Can You Fix Your Weaknesses?
- How to Change the World: This blog by Guy Kawasaki gives you tips and tools to use to help you grow your business and put your best foot forward. Recommended Posts: How to Understand and Master Google+ and 10 Things You Can Learn From the Apple Store
- Epic Launch: This site has valuable tips and resources for entrepreneurs of all ages. Recommended Posts: Why Entrepreneurs Should Never Stop Seeking Educational Opportunities and 5 Ways to Save Money and Build a Better Startup
- Small Business Administration Community Blogs: These community blogs from the U.S. SBA are broken up into the topics of Small Business Matters, Business Law Advisor, Small Business Cents, and even Business Planning Tutorials. Recommended Posts: How to Break Through 5 Common Barriers to Small Business Growth and 4 Ways to Safeguard and Protect Your Small Business Data
- NFIB Young Entrepreneur Foundation: This organization focuses on teaching teens real-world business lessons, including how to start and run a small business. Recommended Posts: The Top Apps for Small Business and Seven Secrets of Billion Dollar Companies – Blueprint to a Billion Entrepreneur Version
- Drew’s Marketing Minute: Learn how to market your business, an essential component of your success as an entrepreneur. Recommended Posts: Selling Shouldn’t Equal Annoying and Five Trade Show Mistakes To Avoid
- Noobpreneur: Get news, tips, ideas, and tools for your small business through Noobpreneur. Recommended Posts: Online Business Valuation: Any Solutions Available? and Entrepreneurship and the Law
- Young Go Getter: Originally a forum for young entrepreneurs, Young Go Getter now serves as a portal for advice, tips, and networking. Recommended Posts: Good, Fast and Cheap and Using Your Current Skill Set to Start a Business
- Rise of the Innerpreneur: This blog aims to help the entrepreneur who wants to use his or her business for personal fulfillment and social change. Recommended Posts: Mindy Crary: November 2012 Innerpreneur Spotlight and Burning Needs of Our Innerpreneur
Inspiration and Testimonials
These bloggers share stories of failure and success, and you can learn from their lessons and innovative ideas here.
- Instigator Blog: Year One Labs founding partner Ben Yoskovitz uses this blog to store comments and analysis on today’s business trends and also share his past experiences. Recommended Posts: Pivot or Quit? and Quiet and Boring: How to Build a Successful Startup
- Global Entrepreneurship Week: This event serves to inspire creativity and innovation in young entrepreneurs, and the blog shares news and campaigns that advertise it around the world. Recommended Posts: World Operating at 25% Entrepreneurship Capacity and Technology and Women’s Entrepreneurship Take Center Stage in Pakistan
- The Global Small Business Blog: It’s never too early to start thinking about how you can bring your company into the global market, and Laurel Delaney’s blog will help you get there. Recommended Posts: Building a Global Brand Is Not Easy and How to Manage Human Capital Across Borders
- Young Upstarts: Learn about the ideas, people and trends that define young entrepreneurship today. Recommended Posts: Ten Sneaky Bad Habits That Hurt Client Relationships and 6 Tips for Smarter Networking
- Marco.org: Marco Arment is the creator of Instapaper, so he has advice and insight to share about startups, big ideas, and tech trends. Recommended posts: Customer Culture and Right vs. Pragmatic
- Startup Lessons Learned: Entrepreneur Eric Ries shares lessons he’s learned in the startup world so that you don’t have to learn them the hard way. Recommended posts: A New Field Guide for Entrepreneurs of All Stripes and Founder’s Dilemmas: Equity Splits
- CDixon.org: Chris Dixon has co-founded several companies and become a personal investor in many others. Let him share some of his knowledge with you. Recommended posts: The Product Lens and BuzzFeed’s Strategy
Tips and Education
Whether or not you go to business school, visit these blogs for a comprehensive education on what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur today.
- Seth’s Blog: Seth Godin’s blog is widely read by entrepreneurs, industry leaders and professionals across all disciplines and all levels, but his short, smart posts on surviving — then mastering — the crazy world we live in are encouraging for young people, too. Recommended Posts: Should You Work For Free? and Humanize It
- Daily Conversions: This simple blog from two Internet marketing experts is full of daily tips and insightful strategies for all business types that are easy to digest: no long-winded, self-righteous posts to be found. Recommended Posts: How to Build a List with Viral Contest Marketing Using Contest Domination and How I Consistently Get at Least 20% Open Rate on my Emails
- Under30CEO: Get inspiration from your peers when you read interviews and features about young entrepreneurs here, while also getting great business tips. Recommended Posts: How to Start a Small Business in 7 Steps and Young Entrepreneur’s Guide to Video Conferencing
- Harvard Business Review Blogs: There are countless resources that young entrepreneurs can find on the HBR Blog feed to help them cultivate original ideas, keep up with social media, and learn more about business strategy. Recommended Posts: When a Product Fails, Find a New Direction and How Managers Should Read Financial Statements
- Personal MBA Blog: This blog — an extension of the popular book and education strategy from Josh Kaufman — is all about providing free educational resources and tips to entrepreneurs and business-minded people. Recommended Posts: The Billionaire Formula and 3 Business Course Recommendations
- The Entrepreneurial Mind: Belmont University’s Dr. Jeff Cornwall writes this expert blog on being a successful, original entrepreneur, no matter what the economy is like. Recommended Posts: Just Because Nobody Is Doing It Is Not a Reason to Launch and When to Implement Budgeting
- Networking Entrepreneur: Even if you think you’re a pro at networking, check this blog for new tips and strategies as your business grows. Recommended Posts: Have You Been Overlooking This Important Step in Your Networking Efforts? and NetTime: How Much Time Should You Spend Networking?
- You’re the Boss: The Art of Running a Small Business: This NYT blog comments on small business news while offering tips for finding clever ways for building a complete career as an entrepreneur and a solid reputation. Recommended Posts: Learning Social Media Tricks From the Big Boys and How Do You Handle Employee Litigation?
- The Brazen Careerist Blog: This very popular career blog started by Penelope Trunk dispenses invaluable advice that’s sometimes hard to swallow, but more practical and enlightening than anything you’ll learn in business school. Recommended Posts: The 8 Most Useful Financial Apps and How to Build Both a Loving Relationship and a Business with Your Partner
- Erin Blaskie: As a consultant to businesses hoping to leverage their online presence, Erin Blaskie has lots of tips and advice for young entrepreneurs just getting their name and product out there online. Recommended posts: Six Tips for Pushing Past the Uncomfortable Areas in Business and Perfect First or Launch and Edit? Here are 11 Tips to Get Unstuck and Move Forward
You’ll have to keep up with the people and trends that define the markets you want to break into if you want to influence business, too.
- Fast Company: Keep up with business news and leaders in industries like media, publishing, design, tech, and more. Recommended Posts: Why “Hire Slow, Fire Fast” Is a Better Idea Than You Think and What Your Email Says About Your Brand
- Daily Dose: Entrepreneur.com’s blog reports on successful business plans, mergers, CEO switch-ups, and more, while sharing books, tools and resources to get you started. Recommended Posts: 3 Successful Entrepreneurs Share Their Productivity Secrets and Hunting for Business Ideas? Consider Looking at These 8 Hot Industries
- E360 Blog: Examine the top entrepreneurial news stories of the day as you learn how to reach customers and find your own spot in the market. Recommended Posts: The Foundation of Any Startup Community and For Better or Worse: Advice for the Entrepreneurial Spouse
- Small Business Watchdog: The official blog of the U.S. SBA Office of Advocacy, this feed features posts about policy and government guidelines, business statistics, and more. Recommended Posts: Panel Examines Regulatory Developments and Women-Owned Businesses and Getting It Right – How Can the Public Sector Help the Innovation Sector Thrive?
- News You Can Use: Although this WomenEntrepreneur.com blog is technically geared toward female business owners and professionals, any entrepreneur can benefit from the commentary and “observations from the editor’s desk.” Recommended Posts: How Women Entrepreneurs Differ From Men and Techie Networking for Women
- Growthology: Here you can read research and policy news and proposals for “entrepreneurial economies,” giving you an edge when it comes to modeling your own company and working alongside the competition and the government. Recommended Posts: But Do You Trust Me? and Negative Press, Boards, and Strategic Directions
- Small Business Labs: Keep up with this blog if you want to know what trends are about to impact your business plan. Recommended Posts: The Rise of Coaching as a Business and The 3 Mega Shifts Changing Work and Employment
- Get Elastic: Ecommerce is likely going to be an important part of your business plan in some way, shape, or form, so keep up with the industry with the No. 1 Subscribed Ecommerce blog. Recommended Posts: Why Online Pure Plays are Opening Physical Shops and The Ecommerce Potential for Facebook Graph Search
- Duct Tape Marketing: Keep up with everything you need to know about the marketing industry and how it relates to your success right here on this marketing blog. Great resource for those who want to study in the best online marketing programs. Recommended Posts: SEO Consulting in 2013: What the Pros Know that You Don’t and Your Stuff Is Probably Good Enough
From Young Entrepreneurs
Get advice and inspiration from these young entrepreneurs who are so passionate about their careers that they want to help you, too.
- Teen Entrepreneur Blog: Learn what other teen entrepreneurs are doing to make money and practice their business skills, get scholarship pointers, and more. Recommended Posts: How To Organize Your Office to Promote Productivity and Collaboration and Where Do Ideas Come From (And How to Get Them)
- Ben Casnocha: Discover ways to get new ideas and execute the ones you already have from Ben’s blog. Recommended Posts: Founders Hiring “Professional” CEOs to Run Their Company and How Large Is Your Network? What Does Dunbar’s Number Really Mean?
- Small Hands, Big Ideas: Grace Boyle’s blog covers innovation, inspiration, and the ideas that turn into veritable careers and companies. Recommended Posts: The Thing About Mistakes and Blogger Outreach Guidelines
- Quick Sprout: Young entrepreneur Neil Patel’s not afraid to boast that he’s “kind of a big deal,” and his blog is full of lessons learned and other practical tips to boost your own ventures. Recommended Posts: Don’t Acquire Customers, Manufacture Them and 11 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting My First Startup
- Thrilling Heroics: This blog and inspirational life/business guide comes from “nomad entrepreneur” Cody McKibben. His posts encourage readers to accept new challenges and adventures that will change their perspectives on their personal lives and in their career pursuits. Recommended Posts: Why You Should Build a Lifestyle Business Rather Than the Next Facebook and The $10K/month Lifestyle Business: How to Launch a Successful E-commerce Site With No Experience
- Mind Petals: David Askaripour is a motivational speaker and Internet strategy consultant who blogs about personal development and taking charge of your own success. Recommended Posts: 3 Creative Ways to Spread Your Logo and Market Your Business and Building Your Credit
- Adam McFarland: Adam might be balding at the age of 30, but he’s also got quite a CV. Read his blog to learn how he became a successful entrepreneur right out of college. Recommended Posts: Why We Still Pay For Health Insurance In Full For Every Employee and Figuring Out the Best Time To Deploy New Features
- Retire@21: Michael is just 21 but has fantastic, practical tips and entrepreneur interviews that will show you how to get rich before you’re 21. Recommended Posts: How To Create a Billion Dollar Company and 5 Things Every Entrepreneur Can Learn From Coca-Cola
- Erica.biz: Erica Douglass sold her online business at age 26 for $1.1 million. She gives advice on how to make your own online business a success. Recommended Posts: “Playing to Fail” – The Harsh Reality of Why 99% of Entrepreneurs Don’t Make It and Pricing Strategies: How to Price Your Product or Service To Avoid Killing Your Business