Official State Links
- College Illinois: This state administered 529 college savings plan is available in two formats: prepaid tuition or 529 college savings plan. The prepaid enables participants to purchase future semesters of college at lower rates than what they are projected to be in the future. The traditional 529 allows participants to save money on a tax-deferred basis to help offset future college expenses.
- Bright Start: This 529 savings plan is administered by the Illinois State Treasurer in partnership with Oppenheimer Funds. Accounts are started with investments of as little as $25. There a variety of programs and options available based on individual needs and goals.
- Bright Directions: This independent 529 college savings plan allows contributions of up to $10,000 per Illinois taxpayer, and $20,000 for those filing joint returns. Funds from other 529 plans may be rolled into Bright Directions.
- The Associated Colleges of Illinois: Since its inception in 1952, ACI has endeavored to support smaller private colleges throughout the state. The fund has raised and distributed in excess of $70 million to member institutions to assist in funding a variety of initiatives and scholarships.
- College & Career Readiness Institute: The purpose of the institute is to foster local innovations and initiatives with the intention of affecting remedial, developmental and academic reform.
- Alliance for College Readiness: Established in 1949 to aid the school districts located within Community College District 509, in order to prepare students for the college experience.
Higher Education News
- Illinois Issues: Produced by the University of Illinois-Springfield to disseminate analysis of public policy, including issues affecting higher education.
- Southern Illinois University News: Produced by the College of Education and Human Services at Southern Illinois University, and reporting on higher education news specific to the state.
- Illinois State Board of Education News Center: The news release outlet for the Illinois State Board of Education.
- Chicago Sun Times Education News: A round-up of education news and opinions from the greater Chicago area, as well as the rest of the state.
- IL 7.4%
- U.S. 7.7%
- IL 19.3%
- U.S. 17.9%
- Graduate or professional degree
- IL 11.8%
- U.S. 10.6%