Cosmetology scholarships help future hair stylists pay for college. Scholarships for students pursuing a cosmetology career are usually privately-funded, and often associated with professional organizations and businesses and corporations association with the beauty business, such as hair care product lines or other beauty brands. For students trying to make sense of the cost of cosmetology school, a scholarship can make a huge difference.
Eligibility requirements for cosmetology scholarships are different than scholarships for academic programs. Many scholarship sources look for a demonstrated interest and passion for the cosmetology profession, as well as other qualifications, like age, financial need, and educational background. Some scholarships are available only in certain states or to students attending specific programs. Other requirements might include:
- Pursuing an Cosmetology degree
- Be 18 years of age
- Be a legal U.S. resident
- Have a high school diploma or GED, or in the process of completing them
- Affiliated with a minority culture
- Applying for financial aid
This list of eligibility requirements does not apply to all scholarships in this field. Scholarship committees establish their own requirements, so it’s important to read the fine print before applying to any scholarship program. The section below lists just a few cosmetology scholarships to illustrate the types of financial aid available to aspiring cosmetology students:
Types of Cosmetology Scholarships
- Smooth ‘N Shine Cosmetology Scholarships: Smooth ‘N Shine is offering scholarships ranging from $1000 to $25,000 to high school graduates attending or planning to attend programs that result in a cosmetology license.
- PBA|NA Sally Beauty Scholarships: Sally Beauty Supply offers $1000 and $500 scholarships to high school seniors entering cosmetology school and professional cosmetologists entering continuing education programs.
- PBA Minerva Beauty Scholarship: The Professional Beauty Association awards five $1000 scholarships to students currently enrolled in accredited cosmetology programs.
- Alice Madden Barton Scholarship: Great Clips offers scholarship opportunities to high school and current students interested in entering cosmetology school. The scholarship can be used for any cosmetology program if awarded.
- The Joe Francis Scholarhsip Foundation: The Joe Francis Scholarship Foundation awards $1000 scholarships to students who are enrolled or in the process of enrolling in cosmetology programs.