Scholarships specifically for online programs make it possible for more students to pursue distance education and flexible degree programs. Many online colleges and universities offer tuition discounts and scholarships for students with strong academic records, low incomes, or single parent status. Some online scholarships are also available through online private organizations and nonprofits. And, many traditional scholarships can be used toward online degrees. However, it's important to read the fine print before applying for traditional scholarships as an online student.
Eligibility requirements for online scholarships can vary from one school to the next. Many are awarded based on academic merit, while other focus on financial need. Other online scholarships focus on specific demographics, like minority students, single parents, or adult learners. Some scholarships may only be available to undergraduate students while others are available only to students pursuing graduate or doctoral work through an online program. Other requirements may include:
- Are a legal U.S. resident
- Meet specific GPA, SAT, GRE, or other merit requirements
- Enrolled in an accredited program
- Planning to study a specific subject or field
- Pursuing a first degree
- Meet specific income for financial need requirements
This is not an all-inclusive list and it's important to fully understand the terms of each scholarship before applying to maximize your chances of success. If you are relying on scholarships to help pay for your online degree, you may want to consider online schools that offer plenty of scholarship options. The list of scholarships below includes several school-based online scholarships:
Types of Online Scholarships
- Western Governors University Scholarships: Western Governors University is an online university that offers scholarship opportunities and tuition reductions to students pursuing specific degrees and those meeting certain merit criteria.
- Penn State World Campus Scholarships: Pennsylvania State Universities offers a number of scholarship opportunities to students pursuing degrees through its online division, World Campus.
- Walden University Scholarships: Walden University offers scholarship opportunities for students pursuing degrees at all levels, from bachelor's to doctoral degrees.
- Washington State University Global Campus Online Scholarship: Washington State University offers a scholarships especially for students pursuing or continuing a degree through its online division, Global Campus.
- Regents High Honors Endorsement Scholarships: This merit scholarship awards up to 25% of resident tuition and online students of Arizona State University Online are eligible to apply.