Hispanic scholarships are only available to students who are Hispanic or Latino. These scholarships are intended to increase diversity and expand the Hispanic workforce in general, as well as increase their representation in specific industries. Hispanic scholarships are not just for bachelor's degrees. Hispanic and Latino scholarships are available at the undergraduate to doctoral level. Many of these scholarships are also subject or career specific, such as Hispanic scholarships for accounting, education, or nursing programs. Each scholarship comes with a unique set of eligibility requirements.
Each scholarship comes with a unique set of eligibility requirements. While the applicant must be of Hispanic heritage to qualify, there are often other requirements, such as academic records, career goals, financial need, and more. Depending on the scholarship amount and the level of study, eligibility requirements can be quite rigid and the application process can be lengthy. Eligibility requirements might include:
- Are a high school graduate or graduating senior
- Are of Hispanic descent
- Are a legal U.S. resident
- Meet specific GPA, SAT, GRE, or other merit requirements
- Present documented unmet financial need
- Enrolled in an accredited program
- Planning to study a specific subject or field
Featured Online Colleges
The list above covers only the most common eligibility requirements among Hispanic scholarships. You should carefully review the requirements and application instructions for any scholarships before applying to increase your chances of success. A short list of example scholarships for Hispanic and Latino students is below.
Types of Hispanic Scholarships
- The Hispanic College Fund: The Hispanic College Fund's College and Career Institute awards financial support to Hispanic students with demonstrated financial need and at least a 3.0 GPA who are enrolled in college for the upcoming year.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund: The Hispanic Scholarship Fund's General College Scholarships awards $1000 to $5000 scholarships to Hispanic students with strong academic records and demonstrated financial need who plan to pursue their first undergraduate or graduate degree full-time at an accredited U.S. college or university.
- SHPE Foundation Scholarship Program: The SHPE Foundation awards $1000 to $5000 need-based and merit scholarships to Latino students pursuing science, technology, engineering, or math degrees at any level of study, from undergraduate to doctoral levels.
- HACU Scholarship Program: The Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities offers a number of different scholarship programs to Latino students who demonstrate financial need and enroll in an HACU-member university, among other requirements.
- CHCI Scholarship: The Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institution offers a scholarship opportunity for Latino students with demonstrated financial needs who are enrolled full-time in an associate, bachelor's, or graduate degree program.
- Actuarial Diversity Scholarship: The Actuarial Diversity Scholarship is only offered to students of Black, Hispanic or Native American descent. Once selected, qualifying students can receive payouts for up to $4000 dollars.