German scholarships support students who descended from German or German-American ancestors or those studying the German language. German heritage scholarships usually focus less on what the student studies and more on their background and German heritage. German language scholarships usually focus on funding study abroad and language immersion opportunities and students pursuing a major in German.
Eligibility requirements for German scholarships are often merit-based. Whether you are pursuing a German study scholarship or a German heritage scholarship, most eligibility requirements will include academic performance and community involvement criteria. German heritage scholarships usually require you to be of German ancestry, which is usually determined by your relationship to a German-American or by your or your relative's membership in a German heritage organization. Other eligibility requirements may include:
- Are a high school graduate or graduating senior
- Are of German descent
- Are a legal U.S. resident
- Meet specific GPA, SAT, GRE, or other merit requirements
- Enrolled in an accredited program
- Planning to study a specific subject or field
- A member of or related to a member of an German heritage organization
The above list is not all-inclusive and each scholarship is unique with its own set of eligibility standards. Also, candidates who meet the eligibility requirements are not guaranteed the award. However, there are numerous German scholarships available, including those listed below:
Types of German Scholarships
- Mary El-Beheri German Heritage Essay Award: The German-Texan Heritage Society awards scholarship to the top five essay entries for this German-Texan heritage research contest.
- Delta Phi Alpha Scholarship: This German Honor Society awards two scholarships to members who are in their final semesters of college, majoring in German language, and planning to study abroad in a German-speaking country.
- German Heritage Council Of NJ Scholarships: The German Heritage Council of New Jersey awards several scholarships from $500 to $1000 to high school seniors of German descent.
- Maud Glover Folsom Foundation, Inc. Scholarships: The Maud Glover Folsom Foundation Scholarship awards scholarships of up to $5000 dollars to male applicants of German descent that are selected by the board of trustees.