Official State Links
- Maryland Prepaid College Trust: One of the state's official college savings plans, this program allows students to "lock in" current tuition prices by putting away money early. The program is backed by a Maryland Legislative Guarantee, includes tax benefits, and is transferrable out of state.
- Maryland College Investment Plan: Another state program, this is a more traditional 529 savings plan, allowing students or parents to contribute money to a tax-deferred account. The plan is low cost and designed to help families start saving early.
- Maryland College Access Challenge Grant: This grant is arranged at the federal level but administered by the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Organizations provide matching "challenge" grants to increase the amount of funds available, and the Commission allocates the grant to increase the number of low income students able to attend college or university.
- Maryland College Goal Sunday: This nonprofit organizes events across the state designed to help students fill out the FAFSA and connect to further financial aid resources. They also answer student questions about college and admissions requirements. Their events are typically held in January and February.
- Maryland Business Roundtable for Education: Established as a means to connect business leaders with the world of education, this nonprofit uses resources from the private-sector to advocate for higher education and provide resources to students in need. MBRT arranges speakers and seminars, campaigns for legislation aimed at improving education, and several initiatives to support students interested in STEM careers.
- MDgo4it: This site, run by the Maryland Higher Education Commission, include a wealth of information for prospective students. It answers questions about life at college, directs students to financial aid resources, and provides tips on the application process.
Higher Education News
- Maryland Higher Education Commission Press Room: The MHEC updates its site with trends and key changes in higher education across the state.
- Edweek Maryland: One of the leading national education publications, Edweek, filters its content by state, covering everything from anti-bullying to college costs to school diversity trends.
- MD 6.2%
- U.S. 7.7%
- MD 20%
- U.S. 17.9%
- Graduate or professional degree
- MD 16.4%
- U.S. 10.6%