International scholarships are available to help students from other countries study in the United States. Many international schools also offer scholarships to students from other countries. International scholarships can be significant, accounting for a substantial portion of the tuition. As a result, they can be quite competitive and usually based on academic merit. If you plan to attend college or pursue a degree in another country, you may be eligible for scholarships if you have a strong academic background.
International scholarships at U.S. colleges and universities usually come with high academic standards. They may also favor international students from specific regions, particularly those from disadvantaged or developing countries. Scholarships at colleges and universities outside the U.S. may be competitive as well and may serve to motivate graduate and doctoral students to pursue research at their institution or in their country. Because international scholarships are available around the world, eligibility standards vary widely. Other requirements might include:
- Resident of a specific region or country
- Meet specific GPA, SAT, GRE, or other merit requirements
- Enrolled in an accredited program
- Planning to study a specific subject or field
- Pursuing a first degree
- Meet specific income for financial need requirements
While this is not a comprehensive list of eligibility requirements, academic merit is the most common factor in international scholarships, regardless of the location. If you want to study abroad and you are on a budget, the best thing you can do is continue to excel academically. Below is a list of actual international scholarships available domestically and abroad:
Types of International Scholarships
- Arcadia University International Student Scholarships: Arcadia University in Pennsylvania offers three scholarships programs and tuition awards for international students seeking a bachelor’s degree that are awarded based on merit.
- International Students Academic Merit Scholarship: This significant merit scholarship from East Tennessee State University is available to international students based on merit and covers half of the student’s tuition and maintenance fees.
- Endeavour Postgraduate Award: International Students can apply for this scholarship that provides financial support for postgraduate study in Australia in any field.
- GVU International Merit Scholarship: Every year, Grand Valley awards the International Merit Award to incoming international students who have demonstrated an outstanding academic achievement record and a willingness to enhance the Grand Valley community. The value of this scholarship is $5,000 per year and it is awarded to graduate and undergraduate students.
- Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship Program: Approximately 4,000 foreign students receive Fulbright scholarships each year. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program enables graduate students, young professionals and artists from abroad to study and conduct research in the United States. Program eligibility and selection procedures vary widely by country.