Want to try your hand at writing? How about authoring an Amazon Kindle Single? The Amazon Singles store offers essays, memoirs, narratives, short stories, and reports in both fiction and non-fiction genres. But these eBooks are short – ranging from 5,000 to 30,000 words and priced accordingly at 99 cents to $4.99 each. This new shorter format has been quite successful and Amazon has sold close to five million copies since the Singles store opened in January 2011.
Anyone can submit their original work for publication in the Kindle Singles store. Amazon has “showcased writing from both new and established voices–from bestselling novelists to previously unpublished writers.”
- Prospective authors interested in having their works published in the Kindle Singles store can submit a manuscript or a detailed pitch for your Kindle Single. Send as much material as you have available to email@example.com and include your name and a writing sample.
- They will also consider works that are self-published in the Kindle Store. In that case, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the title, ASIN, and a brief summary.
- All submissions need to be accompanied by a cover letter with a detailed summary of the submission.
- If you simply want to propose an idea for a Single, you can write the editors at email@example.com.
- The editors will read all submissions and respond within four weeks.
Details to Know
- Writers retain all rights to their work
- Authors earn 70% royalties on sales
- They are currently not accepting how-to manuals, public domain works, reference books, travel guides, or children’s books.
- Kindle Singles Submissions
- Amazon Broadens Its Terrain
- Amazon’s Kindle Singles a Win for Readers, Authors
- Review: My Amazon Kindle Single publishing experiment
- Exclusive: How Much Do Kindle Singles Authors Make?
- After Selling 4 Million Kindle Singles Across The Pond, Amazon’s Short eBook Format Debuts In The UK